Saturday, September 26, 2009

Still Here

Still Here
By: Langston Hughes

I been scared and battered
My hopes the wind done scattered
Snow has friz me
Sun has baked me

Look like between 'em they done
Tried to make me

Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'--
But I don't care!
I'm still here!


In Langston Hughes' poem he states that he has been battered and bruised all through his life, but he keeps on going. He has been pulled down far too many times for his liking, but he never gives up for what ever he is chasing until he has reached it. I think that maybe he might have been writing about when the segregation because he states "they" so I think he might be describing how he feels he's being treated and how he will not give up. I think he is also trying to show that he will always fight for his rightful place and not be pushed down because the color of his skin. This poem transcends time and speaks to all cultures because it is describing how to live your life to the fullest and not be brought down by other people's actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers